Wild Bird Rescue, Inc., serves twelve Texas counties by receiving birds from Texas Parks and Wildlife, Animal Control, Humane Societies, Police Departments, Sheriff's Departments, area businesses, and concerned individuals. We have received over 8,500 birds since the year 2001. We rescue wild birds, rehabilitate them, and then release them back into the wild.



Friday, January 7, 2011


Yesterday afternoon, volunteer Marjorie and I were on the front deck and we heard Sandhill Cranes flying overhead. I had already spotted two flocks earlier in the day. As we were searching the skies for the cranes, I noticed a large bird circling over Lake Wichita Park east of the Rescue Center. As he banked and turned the sun caught the distinguished white head and tail. I ran inside my office, grabbed my binoculars and positively ID a Bald Eagle! I gave the binoculars to Marjorie and she too had a good view of our visitor. He circled and circled, each loop carrying him further east until he was out of sight.
Both the Bald and Golden Eagle winter in the Wichita Mountains 45 minutes north of Wichita Falls. I have received numerous reports of Bald Eagles northeast in Nocona, TX. As far as I am aware, this is the first Eagle spotted over Lake Wichita in the 5 years I have been here.
Photo is from Cornell's Lab of Ornithology, "All About Birds".

No comments:

Post a Comment