Wild Bird Rescue, Inc., serves twelve Texas counties by receiving birds from Texas Parks and Wildlife, Animal Control, Humane Societies, Police Departments, Sheriff's Departments, area businesses, and concerned individuals. We have received over 8,500 birds since the year 2001. We rescue wild birds, rehabilitate them, and then release them back into the wild.



Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May 3, 2011

As you all probably know, the birds lost a true friend with the passing of Bob Lindsay, our executive director. We are all still reeling from his sudden death. The board of directors has met and voted me the new Executive Director of Wild Bird Rescue. I’ll have some very big shoes to fill but I know Bob has trained me well these past 7 years. I look forward to a very successful future with Wild Bird Rescue. As was always the case with Bob, I’ll put the birds first in every decision I make. That being said, I thought an update on baby bird season was due.


From the 60 mph windstorm which hit on April 15th, Wild Bird Rescue took 2 nestling Red-tailed Hawks, 1 nestling Great Horned Owl, 1 adult Common Poorwill, 13 nestling White-winged Doves, 2 nestling Mourning Doves, 11 nestling Eurasian Collared Doves, 1 hatchling Mockingbird, 6 nestling House Sparrows, 1 fledgling House Finch, 1 nestling Eastern Bluebird, 1 fledgling Pigeon, and 1 hatchling Starling. The baby Red-tail Hawks and the baby Great Horned Owl have been transported to South Plains Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Lubbock. With all these newcomers, Wild Bird Rescue is up to bird number 112 for the year with a potential 68% release rate. How’s that for the start of baby bird season 2011! I’ll be back soon with more updates and success stories.


Lila Arnold
Executive Director

1 comment: