Wild Bird Rescue, Inc., serves twelve Texas counties by receiving birds from Texas Parks and Wildlife, Animal Control, Humane Societies, Police Departments, Sheriff's Departments, area businesses, and concerned individuals. We have received over 8,500 birds since the year 2001. We rescue wild birds, rehabilitate them, and then release them back into the wild.



Thursday, September 16, 2010

First Ever Wood Duck Released

Every year seems to bring someone new to Wild Bird Rescue. I believe I have already commented on us receiving our first ever baby Wood Duck. Well, today was release day. As he is our first, I wanted to take a picture of the release. I caught him and an mallard who was also ready for release and proceeded down to the cove. I had my camera in one hand, and the carrier with the two ducks in the other hand. I walked down the boat ramp and stopped about three feet from the water. My intent was to take pictures as the Wood Duck walked into the water and swam away. I made ready the camera, bent over, and opened the door to the carrier. The Wood Duck made three running steps out of the carrier, spread his wings, and flew over the cove and across the peninsula, heading south over Lake Wichita. I was still bent over the carrier, the camera still in my hand, and the picture not taken.

The GOOD news is that it's our first ever baby Wood Duck, and it was released. :-) ! The BAD news is that I don't have a picture to share with you. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment